Our quiet routes to Nantwich are extended by way of the Crewe Greenway to provide a route to both Bentley Motors and Leighton Hospital with a high proportion of traffic free paths and the frenzy of busy roads largely avoided.
The route to Nantwich utilises the rural back road Coole Lane with a half mile section of the A530 leading towards Nantwich centre via traffic-free cycle paths. The exit from Audlem is achieved either by:
Route BL (25.6 miles-easy)
By road via Whitchurch Road to Coole Lane
- Avoiding the towpath section, this route involves a 1 mile section of the A525 Whitchurch Road to Coole Lane.
- This is a busy main road requiring caution, especially around the narrow bridge crossing the River Weaver.
- There are short sections of moderate gradient either side of the bridge over the Weaver, but otherwise the route is largely flat.
Route BL* (23.1 miles-moderate)
The canal towpath from Audlem Wharf to Coole Lane
- Approximately half of the towpath section is on hard surface, with the remainder on compacted earth which can be muddy and slippery after rain. Not recommended in wet or icy winter conditions.
- Access at the Audlem end is flat, but at Coole Lane there are two options:
either a short but very steep flight of steps to link directly at the road bridge 82. Cyclists must be confident that they can carry their cycle up or down these steps before attempting this option. Dismounting essential.
or a ramp at Bridge 83, from where a short footpath links with Coole Lane. Cyclists must dismount and walk the short ramp and footpath section as cycling is not permitted. The towpath section between bridges 82 and 83 can, however, be muddy and slippery after rain.
- The towpath can be busy with walkers and anglers at weekends. Please be courteous and follow the towpath code. Watch out for anglers, use your bell well ahead and be prepared to dismount.
- The towpath route option is generally flat with no steep gradients, other than one very short steep lock approach at Bridge 79 where dismounting between the lock and the bridge is recommended.
In the Riverside Park on the approach to Nantwich, the route skirts around the town centre to join the Crewe Greenway.
- Where cycle paths are indicated, they should be used.
- Care should be taken on the major road crossing points, including the Wistaston Green Road crossing near the Rising Sun pub.
The Sacred Orchard, Nantwich
Alveston Hall Hotel
The Rising Sun, Marshfield Bank