Route A2 (by road via Coole Lane) (6.4 miles-easy)
- This longer route is all on-road but does involve a 1 mile section of the A525 Whitchurch Road to Coole Lane.
- This is a busy main road requiring caution, especially around the narrow bridge crossing the River Weaver.
- There are short sections of moderate gradient either side of the bridge over the Weaver, but otherwise the route is largely flat.
Route A2* (by towpath and farm track) (3.8 miles-moderate)
- This route is more direct and is almost all off-road, so traffic free and very pleasant in favourable conditions. This option is not recommended in wet or icy winter conditions.
- Approximately half of the towpath section is on hard surface, with the remainder on compacted earth which can be muddy and slippery after rain.
- Access at the Audlem end is flat, but at Bridge 80 there is a flight of steep steps to be negotiated. Cycles can however be wheeled next to the steps. Dismounting is essential. Please ensure you close the gate at the top of the steps properly.
- After the bridge, if travelling from Audlem, the route follows a farm track, the first section of which is classified as a footpath, but the landowner has given permission for it to be cycled at the rider's own risk. The second portion of the track is on private land and the landowner has also given permission for it to be cycled at the rider's own risk, but points out that this permission does not infer any future rights to it as a footpath.
- On the farm track sections, you may encounter closed gates. If so, please ensure that they are closed again after you.
- The towpath can be busy with walkers and anglers at weekends. Please be courteous and follow the towpath code. Watch out for Anglers, use your bell well ahead and be prepared to dismount.
- The towpath route option is generally flat with no steep gradients, other than the bridge 80 step, see above and also one very short steep lock approach at Bridge 79, where dismounting between the lock and the bridge is recommended.
The Cafe at Bridge 80